· Collection, compilation and dissemination of Agriculture Statistics covering all the four regions of this territory with quantitative information and qualitative charts/diagrams.
· Conduct of reliable estimates of area under important crops during each crop season viz. Khariff, Rabi I and Rabi II and also estimates production of important crops (Timely Reporting Scheme).
· Quality and reliability of area and yield statistics are maintained under Improvement of Crop Statistics.
· Regular collection of wholesale and retail prices of essential commodities in the Puducherry and Karaikal markets every week and observes daily prices for sending reports to the Government of India and State Government.
The data users/Departments are given below:
1. Puducherry Agro Services and Industries Corporation
4. Anglo French Textile Mills
5. Consumer Federation
6. Marketing Society
7. Puducherry State Fishermen Co-operative Federation Ltd,.
8. Reserve Bank of India, Chennai.
Director of Economics and Statistics has been nominated as the State Co-ordinator for overall supervision of the Price Collection Centres of the State.
Socio-Economic Survey Division:
As directed by the National Sample Survey Organisation the socio-economic surveys are carried out every year on rounds basis by this Directorate. Data, thus collected in each round are used for plan revival and policy making.
State Income Unit:
Estimation of State Domestic Product as well as publication of annual estimates of products of various sectors of economy and Per capita income to determine both the absolute and relative performance of the economy of the state and serves as an indicator and to measure the growth of economy of the territory.
Annual Survey of Industries and Index of Industrial Production:
To provide information on the changes in the growth, composition and structure of organised manufacturing factory sector, repair and services, generation and transmission of electricity, gas and water supply undertakings and cold storage.
The Annual survey is conducted every year and Report thereon is prepared at state level.
The Index number of Industrial production prepared by the Directorate is the most up-to-date indicator of Industrial Growth of the State Economy.
Name of the Publications: